It is a fact: Telegram will have a paid version. The VIP edition of the messenger was confirmed by Pavel Durovfounder of the messaging service, after intense rumors that circulated on social networks and specialized publications.
Telegram Premium: the official confirmation
Durov came out into the ring to ratify that a paid version of the messenger which will be displayed with the name Telegram Premium.
read too: The trick to use Telegram as a personal agenda and cloud storage platform
In the announcement, the CEO of the company made reference to plans to telegram monetizationa move that has already started with the inclusion of advertisements in some channels of the application.
“While our experiments with privacy-focused ads on public channels have been more successful than we expected, I think Telegram should be funded primarily by its users, not advertisers. This way, our users will always remain our top priority,” she said.
Telegram Premium: when will it be released?
Durov did not share a specific date for the launch of the VIP variant of Telegram. Of course: you will not have to wait too long. Engadget points out that this will happen this month.
Another detail that is not official: Telegram Premium subscription would cost $5 per month.
What benefits will Telegram Premium offer?
Durov, visible face of the messenger that has more than 500 million users worldwide, did not reveal with great precision what the benefits of Telegram Premium although it did slip some of the advantages, such as the possibility of accessing functions, speed and additional resources.
In TN Tecno we had already checked the functions that Telegram Premium would include. It should be noted that this is a count of leaks and speculation.
- The subscription version would allow upload files up to 4GBdouble in relation to the free edition of the app.
- Other limits would be doubled. In the premium variant, up to 20 chat folders, 10 pinned chats, up to 1,000 channels, 200 pinned chats in a folder, 400 GIFs, as well as up to four accounts in a single app would be allowed.
- Another benefit would be the absence of advertising on channels with many followers.
- It would also offer faster downloads of documents and files.
- Some additional details of the paid version: more characters could be used in the biography (140 compared to 70 in the regular edition); more characters for image descriptions; exclusive animated reactions; in addition to stickers that are not available in the app that is now available in stores.
- Telegram Premium users would have a badge next to their profile picture and would be able to use animated profile pictures.
- Another interesting function would be the automatic transcription of voice messages to text.
- Subscribers could also choose special icons (not available now) for the app.
- It is also rumored with the inclusion of differential features to manage chats.
Durov did confirm that Telegram Premium subscribers will get access to new features in the first instancethat is, before users of the regular version.
read too: Telegram allows you to change the tone of chat notifications
The founder of the app explained that many called for limits on chats, media and file uploads to be increased. However, doing it for everyone would result in massive traffic and, in parallel, server costs beyond what you could afford. The conclusion? Keep existing features free and offer upgrades as a paid option.
In addition to the announcement of Telegram Premium, Durov reassured users that they will continue to release new free features.