It is a key day in the trial of the Vialidad case, which has the vice president Cristina Kirchner as the main defendant in the case for alleged corruption in the award of public works to the businessman Lazarus Baez in Santa Cruz. After the judicial fair, the arguments are made, the final stage of the process in charge of the Federal Oral Court 2 in which the trial prosecutor Diego Luciani requested nine hearings to present the evidence that would complicate the vice president, as Marcelo Bonelli anticipated in TN.
The evidence would confirm the accusations against Cristina Kirchner, investigated in the case as head of an illicit association that she directed millionaire contracts of public works in Santa Cruz in favor of Lazarus Baez in exchange of returns through the hotels of the vice.
I also read: Cristina Kirchner’s judicial front decreased, but she is concerned about three cases that the Supreme Court must resolve
The Financial Information Unit (UIF) asked for acquittal for Cristina Kirchner in the trial and the Anticorruption Office (OA) decided don’t impeach the vice president.
At the beginning of July, during the pleadings stage, the FIU questioned the skills that were carried out in the case, by ensuring that no crimes were proven and maintaining that there were no surcharges in the adjudication of the works in favor of Báez.
What is investigated in the Vialidad case, in which Cristina Kirchner is tried
The investigation of the Vialidad case, which has Cristina Kirchner as the main defendant, began with a complaint by the former Minister of Energy and former director of National Roads Javier Iguacel.
- Iguacel’s presentation was for the accusation of serious irregularities in public works contracts in Santa Cruz, such as overprices.
- In the case for corruption in public works, the vice president is accused of having been the head of an illicit association that defrauded the State by directing public works to Báez.
- Federal judge Julián Ercolini warned when taking the case to trial that 51 of the 88 works carried out in Santa Cruz between 2004 and 2015 were carried out with companies owned by businessman K for $46 billion.
- According to the accusation, there was a “corruption maneuver” between the Government during Kirchnerism and state agencies with which “a criminal organization”.
- According to the accusations, there was “theft of public funds through the allocation discretionary of practically 80% of the road works in favor of Lázaro Báez”.
Cristina Kirchner’s attacks on the Supreme Court
The beginning of the arguments of the prosecution in the trial for the Vialidad case will be after Cristina Kirchner’s strong attacks on the Supreme Court. The head of the Senate considered in Twitter that the Judiciary “became a political party, protector of macrismo and persecutor of the political forces that oppose him” and that “places citizens on probation.”